Thursday, August 13, 2020

On the 3rd Yortzeit...

 Remembering my father tonight, מרדכי יוסף בן שמואל.

3 years. Chazakah. Unthinkable.

In the zoomed-in day-to-day reality, life goes on. In the last 3 years, we've celebrated the weddings of both my father's children and the birth of a beautiful granddaughter (my niece) who bears his name.

In the zoomed-out realm of existentialist thinking, it's still SO surreal that my father has not been physically present for these milestones.

I miss him deeply, especially in the big moments that remind me of the little things such as his omelets and his dad jokes and the mementos lying around the house.


Forever in my heart, יהי זכרו ברוך!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am an educator who is trained to reflect, not a rabbi or any type of halachic authority. These writings are in no way binding, and may not represent all approaches to and experiences in navigating grief. In fact, there will likely be those who disagree with me or can offer additional suggestions and reflections. For this reason, I am leaving the comments section open so that together as a community, we can broaden the scope of this blog to include a majority of human experience.

One important request: Please be respectful in posting your comments and be sure to frame your tips in the most positive phrasing possible. I reserve the right to delete any unkind comments and plan to update the original posts occasionally to include additional insights and reflections from our combined experience.

A Deep Breath - Year 6

It's time for a pause in the midst of a busy week.   Tonight is the 24th of Av, otherwise known from now on as my father's yortzeit ...